Fiction Friday: Man of War




Only one transport ship made it out of the attack on earth intact. After fifty years, the only communication the survivors and descendants of the Magellan have with the dwindling resistance fighters left on earth come in the form of short range transmissions recieved by daring pilots who return to earth at great risk to themselves and the transmission teams. This latest transmission retrieved by Captain Gabriel St. Martin may change the entire way of life on both sides of the fight against the alien invaders, or it could destroy everything.

When I found this book on Amazon for .99 cents, I was happy to take the risk. I say risk because I am picky about space fiction. I don't like ridiculous scenarios and poorly explained science. This book is wonderfully void of both of those genre traps.

Instead I was thoroughly able to dive into a story that hooked me from the start, logically explained (theoretical) complex space travel and other related elements, instantly connecting me to the characters and cause alike. This story pieces together the intimate struggle of communities that rely exclusively on each other while still having to navigate delicate personal relationships and loss, all while trying to fight an enemy that seems impenetrable. The action and suspense is very well written and indeed had me eagerly turning my digital pages. 

There was one glaring typo, and one element of the story that I was disappointed in, it had to do with a later explanation for events leading up to a face to face meeting with the enemy and the after-events. I can't go more into depth without giving away too much of the story. Despite my personal opinion on that minor detail, I enjoyed the story.

I found this story to be close enough to our time to feel relatable, but with plenty of very interesting scientific developments and advancements. The characters were a great mix of different personalities, likes and dislikes, weaknesses and strengths. It seemed easy to like some right away while finding others less amiable, but as the story unfolds, we get to see other aspects of these men and women and suddenly it becomes harder to dislike some so much, as others show that they are still only human. 

A fully engaging story and cast, and a great cliffhanger ending to rope us into the next book in the series, which is of course, not out yet.


Comments

Popular Posts