Travel Tuesday: Got Here As Soon As I Could

Take a trip to Maine!



Ever since I was about ten years old, I have wanted to visit Maine. As a teenager I fantasized about living there after I graduated. My husband and I briefly explored the idea of working our way up the east coast and back down again, but that proved harder to make a reality after we had a newborn and bills to pay from having to replace the transmission in our truck three times. Sadly, I still haven't made it to the state which calls me, but I will, someday. Meanwhile, I thoroughly enjoyed Sarah Smiley's humorous collection of memories and experiences of falling in love with the last state she ever thought she wanted to live in.

Life with three boys was already busy and loud for Sarah's family when her husband announced that they were being reassigned. Despite hating the idea and swearing she would not stay one day past their assignment, Sarah fell head over heals in love with Maine nearly the minute she arrived. That is not to say she didn't face significant culture shock and readjustment issues. 

I loved reading her lighthearted take on the very hard job of parenting, and how she takes in stride her own flaws as a mother, wife, and woman. I laughed as I also deeply related to many of the day to day chaos life as a family presents, and how we all deal with it in colorful and crazy ways. 

This was a fun book to read, and was great to be able to read in between managing my own household chaos. The self-contained article format made it easy to pick up my place and not feel like if I had to put it down that I was leaving in the middle of a saga. It's a great book to have with you for those times when you have to wait, and just want to read something light and funny!


Comments

Popular Posts